Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Recipes

 Here are a few to get you guys started ...Hope you enjoy and give me some feed back on what you think. 

Ok guys …This is what some of you have been waiting a very long time for.  My special recipes.  All that I ask do not share some of them.  They are family recipes, family recipes are hard to get and in some cases are only meant to be shared with family only.  Some are also Gene’s family’s recipes.  Some I've made alterations to to make a variation to original.   Some of these are also some new recipes that I’ve been playing with that I’ve come up with.  As I get new recipes I will be adding, as I update I’ll let you know.  Please also know that because some of these are family recipes not all of them have actual measurements they are somewhat eyeballed, or seasoned to taste. 

This one is just for Kara Johns. 
My roast that Shaun probably has talked about.  Red wine vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, marjoram.  I do it in the crockpot on low for about 5 to 6 hours.  Or the other one is Malt vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, rosemary, thyme and marjoram. Both beef roasts Chuck or rump work.  I eyeball all the measurements and I use about 4 cups water.  Or it could be the biggie that I do that everyone loves ….

Polynesian pot roast
1 5 to 8 lb beef roast (Chuck or rump)        2 to 4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce            2 cups pineapple juice
2 cups water        garlic powder        onion powder
Pepper            ½ cup brown sugar     2 tablespoons cornstarch with ¼ cup water

Combine everything but the roast really well in crock pot.  Add roast.  Put on low.  Cook about 6 to 8 hours.  Take about 3 cups of stock place in pot.  Bring to boil add cornstarch mix bring back to boil, simmer till thickens for gravy for potatoes. 

**I have used pork roast with this and it has turned out just as good**


Monster dip (also known as 7 layer dip, the name was changed because of the weight and size)
Green chilies        refried beans        cheedar cheese
Green olives         8 oz cream cheese    Colby cheese
Black olives        16 oz sour cream        jack cheese
Salsa            taco seasoning         Mexican mix cheese

Bottom layer …blend together taco seasoning cream cheese then fold in sour cream
Next layer …blend together salsa and refried beans
Layer olives, chilies
Top with your choice of cheese it really doesn’t matter
Chill 2 hours then serve

** I have used the Tastefully Simple Fiesta Party Dip mix instead of the Taco seasoning and it has turned out totally amazing …Thanks to Becki Thompson as my TS Rep**

This recipe has also been altered so many times because its been prepared last minute because of last minute demands, so it was what I’ve had on hand.  So it can be altered to what you have on hand or what you prefer.  This is just how we make it.  There aren’t many chips that can hold up to this chip.  On the Border chips do good. 


My Grandma’s Pink stuff
A new BBQ favorite around here.
A large tub of cottage cheese        crushed pineapple
12 oz cool whip                ‘red jello’
8 oz marshmallows

Combine everything but the marshmallows, chill 2 hours.  Fold in marshmallows just prior to serving. 

Any flavor of red doesn’t matter.  Variations use mandarin oranges instead of pineapple and orange Jello.  


Gene’s mom’s Pulled pork sandwiches
1 5 to 8 lb pork loin or pork butt

For crockpot method
1 tablespoon onion powder         2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder        2 teaspoon red crush pepper flakes
1 to 2 teaspoons liquid smoke        1 cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce        ½ cup brown sugar
4 cups water

Place spices, water, vinegar and liquid smoke in crock combine well put pork in.  cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.  Remove cool 30 mins, shred.  Allow Crock to stay on low.  Add brown sugar to mix.  Add more red pepper if you want it spicier.  Add shredded pork back to crock cook another hour or 2. 

Smoked method.
Same spices, but rub spices and liquids on except omit liquid smoke.  Prepare grill or smoker with charcoal and wood of choice.  Allow to smoke for about 8 hours.  Set to rest or cool for 30 mins.  While resting prepare ‘mop sauce’.  1 cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce, ½ cup brown sugar and 1 cup water.  Shred meat.  Add meat to sauce simmer over hot coals or on stove for about an hour or nice and hot.  Add additional spices as needed.  I usually add a few dashes of garlic, pepper and red pepper to my sauce. 

Serve on a bun with slaw.  Sorry I don’t have the perfect slaw recipe …YET. 

Baked beans from dried beans
**this is one of those season to taste recipes**

1 16 oz bag of great northern beans
Catsup                    BBQ sauce        onion powder
Mustard (preferred flavor or type)        garlic powder        pepper
½ to 1 cup brown sugar            1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
Ham chunks, bacon bits, ham bone or ham hocks

Soak beans at least 24 to 48 hours

Drain and rinse with fresh water,  fill pot, add spices ham bone or ham hock.  Bring to boil. Simmer 90 mins to 2 hours.  Till beans are nice and tender.  Stirring occasionally. 

Drain.  Add catsup, mustard, BBQ sauce, ham chunks or bacon bits.  Add water to thin or thicken as to desired consitancey.  Sauce will thicken as it bakes.  Water will NOT effect flavor.  Bake 300 for 90 mins to 2 hours. 

Yes it sounds like a lot of work, but so worth it.  And if you have a lot of beans to get rid of, even more well worth it.  And they smell so good too.  A variation you can use is omit the brown sugar or reduce the brown sugar and use honey.

Fruit dip
1 12 oz tub extra creamy cool whip
1 8 oz cream cheese

Whip cream cheese till creamy.  Fold together with cool whip.  Chill

**I also use this to fill cakes but I double it to top the cakes as well and add in berries**

Beef Broccoli
Some of you might remember the beef broccoli I used to make this is NOT the same recipe this is a different one this is a MUCH better one.

Steak or roast cut into cubes         broccoli florets        2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons garlic powder             1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water

Marinade
1 tablespoon soy sauce         1 tablespoon rice wine or rice vinegar    
1 teaspoon cornstarch         1/8 teaspoon pepper

Sauce
3 tablespoons soy or teriyaki sauce            ¼ cup beef broth
1 tablespoons rice wine or rice vinegar        2 to 3 dashes ground ginger

Marinate beef in marinade above.  Prepare sauce.  Blanch broccoli for 2 mins by dropping broccoli in boiling water.  Drain.  Heat oil in wok or large skillet.  Add beef in hot oil.  Add garlic and sauce.  Bring to boil, pour  in corn starch, cook stir till sauce boils and thickens.  Serve over rice.

Cranberry Sauce
1 cup water (or 1 cup OJ)        Optionals              ¼ teaspoon cloves
3 cups Cranberries         1 teaspoon vanilla         1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup honey)    ½ teaspoon cinnamon        1/8 teaspoon allspice

Bring Sugar  and water to boil.  Add in Cranberries bring back to boil.  Drop to simmer, simmer for 10 mins or till berries start to burst or pop.  When they all pop, you’re done.  This is a ‘chunky’ version.  If you prefer a less chunky version you can take a hand blender and crush them down. 

Cheesecake
3 8 oz cream cheese
3 large eggs
¾ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 extra serving graham cracker pie crust or you can make your own. 

Blend cream cheese till nice and creamy.  Add eggs, sugar and vanilla.  Pour into pie crust.  Bake 350 45 to 55 mins. 

I’ve added oreos to this, cocoa, …pretty much anything and its turned out. 

       

No comments: